At 08:54 PM 12/17/01 -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
>On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 20:51, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>>
>> Cable never (that I know of) uses PPPoE, and not all DSL lines do (mine
>> doesn't, for example). For them, a 486 should be able to handle T1 speeds
>> (1.5 Mbps) easily.
>
>It's not the line that dictates PPPOE; it's the ISP. I have Verizon as a
>line provider, and my ISP does not use PPPOE. When I had Verizon as an
>ISP (as well as line provider), I *did* have to use PPPOE. This is over
>the same line; I just switched the Internet servicing from Verizon to
>DCA.NET.

It's even more complicated than that, in that some ISPs (mine, as an
example) offer both types of service -- static and PPPoE/dynamic. That said,
I ONLY see PPPoE in connection with DSL, never with cable ... if someone has
experience with a cable service (or any service other than DSL) that uses
PPPoE, I'd be interested in reading about it.