Did you stop sshd before starting it?  That could generate an error like
this (as this is what I get executing sshd -d when it is running):

# sshd -d
debug: sshd version 1.2.27 [i686-unknown-linux]
debug: Initializing random number generator; seed file
/etc/ssh/ssh_random_seed
error: bind: Address already in use
fatal: Bind to port 22 failed: Transport endpoint is not connected.

so what you probably need to do is:

svi sshd stop
sshd -d

Then you might get output that is a lil more helpful.