[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I gotcha.

Roger that.  I swapped the subject line to be more
reflective of the discussion.  Hope that's ok.

> My problem is I'm always wanting to do updates remotely
> and wouldn't want users to have to flip a switch or God forbid reboot.

   Flipping a switch shouldn't be harder than flipping the
write protect tab on a floppy.  The problem is that putting
the switch remotely onto the case, like wiring the turbo
switch on an AT computer to handle the write protect, would
create noise problems.  That's one of the solutions being
investigated.  We've had a grand total of one EE comment
on this offline, who proposed a solution.  Jeff Newmiller
also suggested a case mounted switch is not as desireable
one on the ADM circuit board, for the same reasons.

   The problem is getting acess to an internal switch.  Opening
the case is a small hassle, especially for "users" and frequent
updates.

   I'm a little surprised to hear you modify your config
remotely that often, but that's just because I don't know
your application, not because it's strange to do so.

   I don't think rebooting is required in this situation.

> But a compact flash can be pulled after booting to ramdisk without
> harm.  That's pretty write protected.   Problem is to get access to it
> again you'll have to power down.

   Ok.  A case mounted socket for a Flash would be similar to how
a floppy is case mounted.  But if you have to power down....

   I thought PC-Cards could be hot swapped.  I haven't messed
with them in Linux yet, though.  I thought the same was true
for CF chips.  Is this not incorrect?

> I would be more interested in a heavily software protected mount,
> dd, etc.  If these commands were  400 and could only be accessed
> via a very secure sudo like thingy.  I mean even root could not get to
> then without getiing past security.  Maybe that's impossible   ???

   Anything software is not the holy grail because it can
be circumvented with time and skill.  Or so goes the
argument.

> Oh yeah, if you want to solder, break into your IDE cable and run the
> write enable thru a switch (don't ask me).  If you're clever you might
> even not bring the drive down.  That would be cool.

   You can search google going back a long way and read up
on the whole history of IDE and how write protect is not in
the specification.  Attempts to modify the IDE cable and
it's signals is not a possible solution from what I've read
and my amateur analysis.

   I don't quite understand what you're suggestion would be
from that one paragraph.  If you're referring to using the
IOW and IOR strobes, that's what I'm claiming isn't possible.

   IDE write protect is a new concept that exists only because
CF and PC-Card manufacturer have built that into their
controllers that exists on their circuit boards.

Regards,
Matthew