> _system_
> Bering v1.0-rc1
>
> _task_
> I want to implement serial console access to my firewall.
>
> _resources_
> LRP-Serial-HOWTO written by Charles.
>
> _questions_
> Do I need to load the serial.o module?

Depends on your kernel.  Try adding the following to your kernel command
line (typically the syslinux append line):

console=ttyS0,9600n8

> If so, where is it located? (I was unable to locate it when I was
searching
> through the site.)

It would be with the kernel modules...typically in the "misc" directory.

> It was suggested that setserial would be useful for this. Where can I find
> information on this?

One of the linux online man page or HOWTO sites.  You probably won't need
setserial if you're using a standard serial port, and have serial support
compiled into the kernel.  You can set baud rate and such with the kernel
command line switch, and by passing parameters to your getty program.

> If this has been on the list already, my search missed it.
> Barring all of this is the LRP-Serial-HOWTO all that I will need?
> or...
> If no one has done this I will feel my way through it and report back what
> come up with.

My Serial HOWTO will get you started, but that was written for Materhorn,
and a 2.2 series kernel...there may be a few "tweaks" required for running
on Bering with a 2.4 kernel.  Keep us posted...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net