>From a recent post by Chad Carr (March 17) :

<BEG QUOTE>
Installing Bering LEAF on compact flash for the Soekris net4501 router platform

1) download floppy image and mount using
mount -t msdos bering-1680-b4.bin /mnt/image -o loop
2) make msdos filesystem on compact flash
mkdosfs /dev/hde1
3) mount compact flash
mount -t msdos /dev/hde1 /mnt/cf
4) copy all files from floppy image to mounted compact flash
5) delete unneeded files and remove references from syslinux.cfg ("LRP=" line)
keyboard.lrp - not needed for english keyboards
ppp.lrp, pppoe.lrp - not needed for ethernet router
bridge.lrp - not needed for ethernet router
pump.lrp - not needed for static addressed router
syslinux.dpy - not needed for serial boot
6) copy ide disk modules to initrd.lrp
a) gunzip -S .lrp initrd.lrp
b) mount -t minix initrd /mnt/initrd -o loop
c) edit boot/etc/modules to load the following modules:
ide-mod
ide-disk
ide-probe-mod
d) download the modules from leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/
e) copy to boot/lib/modules
f) umount /mnt/initrd
g) gzip -S .lrp -n initrd
7) compile kernel with serial support (serial console requires non-modular)
<=====
a) get config file from leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/
b) make menuconfig; change serial support from M to *
c) make bzImage modules
d) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /mnt/cf/linux
8) make modifications to etc.lrp to support console on serial terminal
a) cd /scratch; tar xzvf /mnt/cf/etc.lrp
b) modify etc/inittab; comment out gettys on tty1 and tty2  <========
c) uncomment getty on ttyS0   <========
d) copy terminfo dir from dachstein (for vim)                           *
e) edit etc/securetty to add ttyS0  <==========
f) tar czvf /mnt/cf/etc.lrp etc var
9) make modifications to syslinux.cfg to support serial console  <=========
a) change device in boot= and PKGPATH= to hda1
b) add the following line
append console=ttyS0,19200   <===========
c) remove "display syslinux.dpy" if you removed the file above
d) remove modules from lrp line that were removed above
<END QUOTE>
Bering v1.0-rc1 does not have serial compiled in the kernel. This seems
necessary to have serial console access. I am considering to have serial
compiled in v1.0-rc2 for that reason. Any comment from the list on that issue ?

Jacques