Charles,
This sounds just like what I had happening a few weeks ago when I
switched
to the released version of Dachstein from the release candidate. I
solved it by swapping in a kernel that had serial support compiled in
but never was able to figure out why serial.o wouldn't work. Is it
possible that the newer kenel in the released version is incompatible
with the serial.o module?

Kory Krofft