Hello Eric,

For me the serial console works on Bering, without compiling a
kernel.
I am using the 2.4.18 kernel and the matching serial.o from Jaques
site.

My syslinux.cfg starts with the folowing lines:

serial 0 19200 0
display syslinux.dpy    #(displays nicely on my serial console)

serial.o is stored in /boot/lib/modules (like my IDE modules) and is
loaded from  /boot/etc/modules

(don't forget to backup root.lrp)

I also had the problem with getty respawning, in my case because
COM1 was disabled in the computers BIOS.

Good luck!
Sjaak