I did some digging and came up with this little nugget that has me
more confused than ever.
http://www.dhs.org/pipermail/systalk/1999-July/007592.html

"In order for dhcpd to work correctly with picky DHCP clients (e.g.,
Windows 95), it must be able to send packets with an IP destination
address of 255.255.255.255.  Unfortunately, Linux insists on changing
255.255.255.255 into the local subnet broadcast address (here, that's
192.5.5.223).  This results in a DHCP protocol violation, and while
many DHCP clients don't notice the problem, some (e.g., all Microsoft
DHCP clients) do.  Clients that have this problem will appear not to
see DHCPOFFER messages from the server.

It is possible to work around this problem on some versions of Linux
by creating a host route from your network interface address to
255.255.255.255.   The command you need to use to do this on Linux
varies from version to version.   The easiest version is:

        route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth0"

        Someone please help me out here. I have downloaded and tried every
version of dhcrelay from 1.1 to 1.4 and they all give the same error when
they load.

                Thanks in advance.