John,

Who needs sleep? ;-). I took a working Bering floppy and copied the
latest shorwall.lrp over the original. Upon reboot here is the shorewall
section:

Determining Zones...
   Zones: net loc dmz
Validating interfaces file...
Validating hosts file...
Validating Policy file...
Determining Hosts in Zones...
   Warning: Zone net is empty
   Warning: Zone loc is empty
   Warning: Zone dmz is empty
Deleting user chains...
Creating input Chains...
Configuring Proxy ARP
Setting up NAT...
Adding Common Rules
IP Forwarding Enabled
Processing /etc/shorewall/tunnels...
Processing /etc/shorewall/rules...
Adding rules for DHCP
Setting up ICMP Echo handling...
Processing /etc/shorewall/policy...
   Policy ACCEPT for loc to net using chain loc2net
Masqueraded Subnets and Hosts:
Processing /etc/shorewall/tos...
   Rule "all all tcp - ssh 16" added.
   Rule "all all tcp ssh - 16" added.
   Rule "all all tcp - ftp 16" added.
   Rule "all all tcp ftp - 16" added.
   Rule "all all tcp ftp-data - 8" added.
   Rule "all all tcp - ftp-data 8" added.
Activating Rules...
Processing /etc/shorewall/start ...
Shorewall Started
dnscache queries allowed from 192.168
Starting dnscache without daemontools ...
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.

Obviously it needs configured, But after config I am able to backup
the changes but when I reboot I get:

Local time: Wed Aug 14 23:05:42 EDT 2002

Initializing random number generator... done.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogdTerminated
 klogd.
Starting software watchdog... done.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
   /var/lib/shorewall/functions does not exist!
Terminated
dnscache queries allowed from 192.168
Starting dnscache without daemontools ...
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.

I am at a loss to figure out what happens to
/var/lib/shorewall/functions.

Thanks,

Kory