At 08:23 AM 9/12/02 -0700, Tom Eastep wrote:
>On Thursday 12 September 2002 03:05 am, Lennard de Hoog wrote:
> > Blaise,
> >
> > the mac address is in the Nic, there is no way to change a mac address.
> >
> > so you can't fix or change the mac address.
> >

>Not so -- most drivers allow overriding the manufacture-provided MAC address.

Some Linux NIC drivers (modules) do, and some don't. For the ones that do,
some NICs are said to honor the change (at the firmware level), while
others don't (that is, the NIC itself needs to be set promisc, and the
kernel/driver sorts things out).

It would be quite valuable (to cable-modem users, and perhaps others) if we
could, collectively, create a listing of which NICs do allow reseting of
the MAC address at the firmware level. I personally do not know of *any*
NICs that do this (that is why I wrote "said to" above) ... but since I've
never had a connection that used MAC-address authentication, it has never
been a priority for me.

So how about it, folks? Would anyone who has actually made MAC-address
spoofing work at the firmware level (that is, without using promisc) tell
us about it -- what NIC, what module (driver), and what tricky details to
make it actually work? And what LEAF version, if that matters to success.