On Thursday 12 September 2002 11:30, Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> Ray,
>
> you are right in most of your affirmation.
>
> I had done it ONCE using EigerStein and an 3Com Etherlink
> 3 ISA (I think...)
>
> The command I used to change the MAC was:
>
> ip link set eth0 address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> You will need to change the FF... to the correct MAC that
> you want to fake.
>
> Next, you need add this to one of the startup scripts, can't recall
> which...
>
> Maybe from this info you can extrapolate other scenarios

Add this (or use the added command) to /etc/modules:

# Spoof a mac address on an interface. This can make life easier with
some ISP's.
# ! mac <interface> <mac address>

Add this to /etc/init.d/modutils:

# Loop over every line in /etc/modules.
echo 'Loading modules: '
while read module args
do
        case "$module" in
                \#*|"") continue ;;
                !)      set -- $args
                        case $1 in
                                mount)  [ -n "$MOUNT" ] && umount $MOUNT
                                        mount -r -t $2 $3 $MNT
                                        MOUNT="$MNT" ;;
                                umount) [ -n "$MOUNT" ] && umount $MOUNT
                                        MOUNT="" ;;
                                dir)    DIR="$2" ;;
>>                                          mac)        ip link set $2 address $3 ;;

This will be included in the Dachstein update.
I hope this helps
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!