At 01:56 PM 11/7/02 -0600, David Batey wrote:
I am looking for an ALL-IN-ONE solution similar to the software that is used
on the 3Com internet/server appliance that was discontinued or like the SUN
Cobalt Qube.
What I am looking for is a complete, easy to install solution that provides:

Firewall
Windows File Server
Email Server
FTP Server
Telnet/SSH Server
DHCP
DNS
And can be administrated from a web page on a local machine.

I have used Smoothwall and IPCop but these 2 dists are firewall specific.
I have been trying to use Debian and Red Hat to do all of this but the setup
is murder, and Webmin is very general.

Is there currently a project/dist that does this?
Not that I know of. Of course, if you leave out "easy to install" and "administrated from a web page", then any full-size Linux distro will do what you want. So the real issue is configuration and management.

The modular nature of most distros, including the LEAF variants, cuts against ease of administration. (I was struck, for example, by the procedure George Luft posted a couple of weeks ago to "change Bering default [internal] IP address" -- it involved editing eight (8!!!!) different files. Yuck! But something similar would be true of almost any standard Linux distro too ... as you probably discovered with your RH and Debian tries.) A general rule of UI design is that ease of use and flexibility of operation are antagonists, and Linux distros tend to favor flexibility over ease.

One place to look, at least for integrated, Web based UIs, is at some of the commercialized spinoffs, like MicroTik. But the ones I know of -- MicroTik itself, and some others I've seen demo'ed at trade shows -- focus on firewalling and routing, not provision of services like SMB and ftp.

So I fear this is more a feature request for future development than a search for something that already exists.