Ray,

Thanks for the fast response.

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Kory -- You realize, I trust, that with this little information, *any*
> suggestion has to be a guess.

Yes I do. I guess at this point I am looking for where to look as much
as
anything.

> With that warning ... whenever I see a "3 or 4 minutes" problem, I think at
> once to check for a reverse-lookup failure associated with logging by FQN.
> I don't know either the typical settings for dnscache or its options ...
> but if it logs, see if you can get it to log by IP address, not FQN. Also
> see if the router can resolve the IP address of the Win2K host into an FQN.

DNScache does not appear to be logging. I find no entry in /var/log for
dnscache.
I am using a workgroup structure on the network as opposed to a domain
setup if
that makes a difference. How can I tell if the router can resolve the IP
into a
FQN? There is an entry in the hosts file for the win2k system. I can
ping it from
the firewall by either IP or name.

If you have any other things I can investigate I will be glad to report
back.

Thanks again,

Kory