On Tuesday 24 December 2002 02:07 pm, you wrote:

> I recently upgraded my computer to Win2K. Once completed I find that
> when I open any browser I get host not found errors for any websites
> I try to view for about a minute or so then things start to work and
> after 3 or 4 minutes everything works fine.
>
> The network information is:
> 6 clients on small network 4 are win98SE one RH 8.0 and one Win2k.
> Firewall is a pentium 225 with Bering RC3 with DNScache.
> All the clients access the internet flawlessly except for the Win2K
> box. It is configured with the primary dns as the internal i'face on
> the firewall as it should be. The firewall logs show nothing for the
> time period when the connections fail.

The logging would be through daemon.log and/or syslog. Win2K/XP uses
a combined WINS/DNS combination that breaks all other DNS and WINS
rfc's (M$ just applied to add their idea as a new rfc). Strange things can
happen because of this. As you later noted, you have checked for Win2k
to "automatically detect" your network settings..... uncheck this as it is
likely causing your connection lag. You don't have anything to discover
outside of the dhcp information that is sent during the boot of the system.
Any other problems are likely because of the WINS/DNS discovery affecting
that particular OS.

I personally haven't had problems with any of these OS's, but I know of other
people that have.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Firewall Project developer