Kory,

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:09:56 EST Kory Krofft wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Thanks for all the input I received on this. While I orginally
> believed that it was more of a Win2K issue than a LEAF one but
> now I am not so sure. What I learned from the group was that Win2K
> uses what might be termed a "Non Standard" format for a DNS query
> which may cause a delay when Linux tries to resolve it. I was able to
> solve this issue (at least it seems it is fixed) by adding the
> Road Runner DNS server IP as the secondary DNS server in the TCP
> setup on Windows. Leaf may need to address the issue of the Win2k
> DNS request format as more of the Win2k machines appear in our
> corporate environments.

I seriously doubt that this is a LEAF (really djbdns) problem.
A more systematic diagnosis including:

  - the configuration of dnscache and, if applicable,
    tinydns on the LEAF router,

  - tcpdump packet dumps with and without the RR name
    server in the Win2k DNS list,

  - the output of "ipconfig /all" on the Win2k box with
    and without the RR name server in the list, and

  - test results from nslookup on Win2k in addition to
    (or rather than) browser observations (where there
    are more variables to consider, e.g. proxy settings)

would probably reveal the root cause and I suspect the djbdns
utilities are not at fault.  I run Win2k under VMWare on a
Debian machine and it uses dnscache for name service.  I have
not noticed any name resolution delays or problems.

--Brad