On Friday 17 January 2003 10:16 am, you wrote:
> Never seen those error messages before.  Something is defintely wrong,
> but I'm not sure what.  You might get better help on the orinoco-user
> list:
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=orinoco-users
>
> or in the samba wireless archives:
>   http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/

That's my next stop.

> > I switched cards, putting the LEAF/Bering card into my laptop, and vice
> > versa; but the problem remained -- a moderate period of inactivity caused
> > the system to think that the card was no longer there.
>
> Which version of orinoco_cs does the Bering system use?  Does the
> notebook use orinoco_cs drivers?  (Note:  you could also try the
> wavelan2_cs binary driver from Lucent.)

I'm not sure what module version LEAF/Bering uses in the pcmcia_orinoco.lrp
package.
The laptop is using orinoco_cs, from Debian's woody pcmcia-cs package.

> > The laptop does not produce these error messages, so I'm fairly confident
> > that the problem is isolated to the LEAF/Bering box.  This could mean
> > that I've got a screwy configuration somehow, or that I've got a hardware
> > problem (most likely a flakey ISA-to-PCMCIA adapter?).
>
> What make and model is the ISA-to-PCMCIA bridge?

Vadem VG-469 ISA-to-PCMCIA, just like the one you report success with.

> You may also want to try the 2.4.20 version of the kernel,
> pcmcia_orinoco.lrp, and modules.lrp since that will get you up
> to the 0.11b version of orinoco_cs.

If that'll fix it, so be it.  But Matt Schalit's recent explanation of the
hoops to jump through in order to enjoy 2.4.20 gives me the willies!  =)