On Tuesday 27 May 2003 10:26 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> well, again thanks.  hearing that it had worked for others without major
> issues made me go back over some basics.  I had a relatively OLD copy of
> putty, so i got a newer release.  Now, lshd works.  Finally, I can do
> away with the the extra monitor (back to the basement).
>
> anyway, i have one final question.
>
> i was thinking of adding a second user to the bering box.  (i understand,
> in theory, it is best to log on as a user, and su to root).  so, i found
> the faq on the leaf site at sourceforge by Charles Steinkuehler and David
> Douthitt, and followed the instructions.  now i have a second user and
> can log in with it.

Doesn't really matter, you get a root login on the connection either way.

> however, when i tried "su", i got an unkown command response.  so, i
> found an su binary on Charles Steinkuehler's LEAF/LRP Website, added it
> to /usr/local/bin, and now i have the command.
>
> BUT, if i log in as the user and try "su", i get the password prompt, but
> i always get "su: incorrect password" in reply to my attempt to get to
> root (i have tried a number of times, i am sure i typed the password
> correctly).

Try putting it in /sbin or /bin, I haven't heard of it not working,
but possibly it is not finding the correct path.

> is there something else i need to do make this work?  (i had been
> planning on disabling root-login via lshd if i got this working, but it
> isn't really that big an issue.)

If you disable the root-login, you won't be able to 'su' to root IIRC.
Possibly I'm wrong here though.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer