On Thursday 29 May 2003 09:25 am, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
> > any other ideas on login or su?
>
> As 'root', do:
> chmod +4111 /path/to/su
>
> If 'su' isn't run suid, then most likely /etc/shadow isn't
> being read because 'su' is running as your non-root user.
> --
> ~Lynn Avants
> Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer
>
> -----------------
>
> ok, i tried chmod, still get the password incorrect reply from su.
>
> the output of "ls -l" of su didn't change after chmod.  it is and was:
>
> ls -l
>
> -rwxr-xr-x     1    root    root     9504    May 17 18:24
>
> this is what I see when logged in as the user (not root).  if i read it
> correctly
> (without consulting my book), i think it should be executable by anybody,
> and is.

Yes, it is executable by anybody, but runs as the user calling it and can't
read the necessary root-only readable files. You have to set the permissions
for the binary to run as root (suid bit) regardless of the user calling it.

I told you only root could change the binary permissions ('> As 'root', do:'),
so your either going to have to login as root to fix this or modify your
system so anyone with access under any reason can get all password information
from you box. This is a file-permissions 101 question, I gave you the
correct information to fix it with last post...either you can use it or
ignore it, I really don't care.
--
http://leaf.sourceforge.net
http://guitarlynn.homelinux.org:81