again, i would like to thank everyone for their input.

yes, the su binary comes from (i think) the Dach distribution.
there is not a problem with path.  the command does execute when it
resides in /usr/local/bin.

in fact, if i log in as root, i can su to root (no password required),
and i do get a root shell, within the outer root shell.

certainly, this is not a problem related to lshd or sshd (i was merely
tagging this question to the end of the previous one).

the issue seems to be with password authetication, as was mentioned in a
prior reply.

is there anything i can do to fix this?  or, what other information can i
provide to help with diagnosis of the problem?  i am currently running
bering 1.0.

thanks - ted