Hello ??? (joah, moat ?)

Let's try to explain it differently how I solved my own problem...

The package pcmcia.lrp should be modified to contain two scripts in
/etc/init.d

The first script (/etc/init.d/pcmcia) is the standard one but with the
RCDLINKS line changed to:

 RCDLINKS="S,S38 2,S13 3,S13 4,S13 5,S13 6,K87"

This permits to have the pcmcia cards initialized earlier in the boot
process.

The second script (/etc/init.d/pcmcia_eth) is a new one that you have to
write in /etc/init.d as follow:
(of course, do put the leading > ).

> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Copyleft 2002 Erich Titl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> #
> # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> # under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
> # Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
> # option) any later version. See <http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.txt>.
> #
> # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> # WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY
> # or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License
> # for more details.
> #
> # Purpose:
> # Wait for PCMCIA Ethernet cards to be ready.
> # Executed following pcmcia init script execution
>
> RCDLINKS="S,S38 2,S13 3,S13 4,S13 5,S13"
> WHAT="eth"                           # what to search for
> WHERE="/proc/net/dev"          # where to search
> HOW_LONG=20                     # how long in seconds before aborting
>
> NICS=`grep ${WHAT} /etc/shorewall/interfaces | grep -v ^# | wc -l`
> [ ! -r /etc/shorewall/interfaces ] && NICS=2;
> count=0
> while true
> do
>   count=`expr $count + 1`
> # weird, for some reason grep does not return anything sensible
>   devs=`grep ${WHAT} ${WHERE} | wc -l`
>    [ $count -eq ${HOW_LONG} -o $devs -eq ${NICS} ] && break;
>   sleep 1
> done
> exit 0

This script checks the existence of the 2 Ethernet devices (eth0 and eth1)
in the kernel via the pseudo-file
/proc/net/dev which exists as soon as the networking stuff is started.

Don't forget to save the pcmcia.lrp package after these modifications.

Last note: I've done all of that on Bering-uClibc 2.0 (not 2.1) but I don't
see why this should be a problem on 2.1.

--
Christian - Grenoble