From: "Henning Jebsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 10:59 AM
Subject: OT: [leaf-user] Debian runlevels

> Christian HOSTELET wrote:
>
> > process (either at kernel init time, or when its module is loaded). Same
> > should occur for PCMCIA stuff this is the reason I added S,S38.
> I am a bit off topic now asking this:
> I dont know what S,S38 means. I know about runlevels,  for
> sure, but am not familiar with debian-stuff.
> That was the reason, my changes of rcdlinks did not work unless
> I used your proposal. What does S,S38 mean ? Start it
> before _any_ other runlevels[123456] ?? K,Z99 would be
> the corresponding very last script to be executed ?
>

> Greetings !

Hello Jebsen,

  I'm sure someone, with better skills than I got on Unix/Linux/Bering, will
answer with more details. But here is an intro.

  This RDCLINKS "trick" is used to defined the /etc/rc?.d links to be
created at boot-up.

   In /etc/rc?.d directorie (rc? = rcS, rc0, rc1, etc...), you'll find
script files named SXX<scriptname> and KXX<scriptname>.
   These scripts are executed (under init's control) during transitions of
run-levels.
   /etc/rc?.d/SXXscripts (start scripts) are executed when you enter the
corresponding ? run-level.
   /etc/rc?.d/KXXscripts (kill scripts) are executed when you leave the
run-level ?
   (refer to /etc/inittab for list of assigned run-levels in Bering).

   For example, a transition from level S (start) to 2 (multi-user level)
will execute all KXXscripts in /etc/rcS.d then all SXXscripts in /etc/rc2.d.
   Then a transition to level 1 (single-user) will execute all KXXscripts in
/etc/rc2.d then all SXXscripts in /etc/rc1.d

   All these scripts are executed in alphanumerical order (S00a.., S00b...,
..., S01, S02... S99z....).

   Note: when the system boots up, all SXXscripts in /etc/rcS.d are
executed.

   Going back to RDCLINKS, the value "S,S38 2,S13 3,S13 4,S13 5,S13 6,K87"
in /etc/init.d/pcmcia resulted in creation of following links:

   /etc/rcS.d/S38pcmcia
   /etc/rc2.d/S13pcmcia
   /etc/rc3.d/S13pcmcia
   etc...
   /etc/rc6.d/K87pcmcia

   Which not the correct way to do it. Following Eric Spacman's suggestion,
RDCLINKS in pcmcia script is now "S,S20 0,K20 6,K20" which means:

   S,S20 : starts pcmcia at startup
   0,K20 : stops pcmcia when (before) halting the system
   6,K20 : stops pcmcia when (before) rebooting the system

Hope this clarify.

--
Christian - Grenoble