On Mon, 05 Jul, 2004 at 01:15:09 +0200, Erich Titl wrote:
> Jon

Thanks for the reply.

> At 17:51 04.07.2004, you wrote:

<snip>

> >The mobo has a VIA vt82c686b ide-controller, so consequently I have
> >
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y in the kernel config
> >
> >-which I would've thought should cover it. Obviously I was mistaken,
>
> the menuconfig program does not enable the via82cxxxx just like that. It
> requires Generic PCI bus-master DMA support which you may or may not have
> set.

I am aware of this. I *had* tried setting it directly in .config, but then
the compile failed (IIRC).

> This is from the VIA docs....

Hmmm... More googling.

> (2) When running "make xconfig ", "make menuconfig " or "make config " to
> configure the kernel, select ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL Support/IDE and then ATA
> and ATAPI Block devices. Next select 'y' to enable Generic PCI bus-master
> DMA support and VIA82CXXX chipset support.

This is the way I got the via82cxxx support set.

> Moreover, if your system uses
> VIA's C3 CPU, select [K6/K6-II/K6-III] and disable [Symmetric
> multi-processing support] under [Processor type and features]. Finally, save
> and exit the kernel configuration.

Right. I'm gonna have to look closer at the actual cpu info, when I get off
work. I have none of the above set ATM, so maybe the K6* option is the
ticket...

This is /proc/cpuinfo when booted into SuSE:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> more /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 532.684
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1046.52

> HTH
> Erich

Thanks again,