* Charles Steinkuehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005:03:14:05:59:33-0600] scribed:
<snip />

> If you're familiar with Dachstein-CD, customizing my Bering-CD ISO is
> probably the easiest way to go.  You'll need to come up to speed on:
>
> - Shorewall
>
> - The new init scripts, which now use a leaf.cfg file to provide additional
> run-time configuration when booting from a CD or other read-only device (no
> more burning a new CD to change the size of your root ramdisk!).
>
> When I transitioned to Bering-CD, the process was fairly straight-forward. I
> had to re-create my firewall setup in shorewall, obviously, but was able to
> port my configuration files (partial backups) from ssh, ipsec, snmp, and
> other packages directly to the new Bering system, so the upgrade was easier
> than you might think (although not a simple "CD Swap" like earlier
> Dachstein-CD upgrades).
<snip />

Thank you, Charles!

I am going through Bering-CD in hopes of quickly understanding how it
works.  I have a couple of questions:

[1] What is initrd.lrp?

    When I dissect bootdisk.bin, I get this:

      # ls -al
      total 1052
      drwxr-sr-x  2 mds  mds    4096 Mar 15 17:03 .
      drwxr-sr-x  4 mds  mds    4096 Mar 15 15:36 ..
      -rwxr--r--  1 root root 506328 Mar 23  2004 initrd.lrp
      -r-xr--r--  1 root root   6920 Oct 11  2001 ldlinux.sys
      -rwxr--r--  1 root root    776 Mar 12  2004 leaf.cfg
      -rwxr--r--  1 root root 529079 Feb 23  2004 linux
      -rwxr--r--  1 root root    272 Mar 10  2004 syslinux.cfg
      -rwxr--r--  1 root root   1058 Feb 24  2004 syslinux.dpy

    Unfortunately, initrd.lrp appears to be nearly 1/2-MB in size; but,
    is devoid of content ?!?!  This returns *nothing*:

      # sudo tar tvfz initrd.lrp

[2] What are the rules for syslinux.cfg?

    Is there necessary sequence and/or precedence in the LRP= entries?
    With DCD, this was the necessary beginning sequence:

      etc,local,ramlog

    Is there a character length limit?

    As long as I am editing this now, I may as well best use of my
    common packages.

[3] How do I re-create bootdisk.bin on Debian?  I used to use some
    windoze program for making these boot images; but, I'm down to only
    one windoze box, and I'd prefer to go strictly Linux with this ;)

[4] The new config-only backup could be cool.  I had built my own, years
    ago, called zzz.lrp.  My approach is to gather *all* configuration
    files into one (1) zzz.lrp file, and install that one dead last in
    the bootup process, and remote backup *only* that one (1) file from
    each of several dozen DCD's.  Unfortunately, that required an
    exhaustive re-write of the /var/lib/lrpkg/* files, because often
    they were carelessly written, and did not suffice for identifying
    critical config files.

    How have you addressed this issue?

[5] When I need to compile a package, I will need a development
    environment.  Can I assume that the docs contain necessary
    instructions for doing this chroot on Debian?

Thank you, all of you, for your continued efforts with LEAF.

P.S., Please, Charles, keep me in the loop on all updates you make to
Bering-CD.  It looks like, for now, I can do without Bering-uClibc.

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource