> filesystem.I also read about the LEAF cd and floppy configuration.But i
> want to install LEAF over a network where any changes in the network say
> i want to block access to a certain computer i would like to change the
> settings in leaf.cfg and save it on the harddisk.

Not in LEAF/Bering.  The place to do that is in IPTABLES on your SUSE
workstation system.  My rule set has a "blacklist" chain that drops all
packets coming or going to IP addresses/ranges that have tried too hard
to see what/who I am.

>     Now since LEAF is a distro how would i run it on SUSE?Is it by

You don't!  Why do you keep insisting to make Bering run under SUSE?
It doesn't!  "Distros" don't run in other distros, they run themselves.

>     installing a virtual machine like VMWARE or is there any other

Don't even go there!  There is little chance that the average script
kiddie or wannabe hacker would be able to penetrate Bering, though the
best ones out there probably could, if they thought your system were
worth the effort.  There is a huge advantage to running Bering on its
own box though.  If/when you notice unusual activity or behavior by the
Bering system, that it MAY have been compromised, you can immediately
hit the power-off button without messing up your workstation.  All you
lose is a connection.  If, as you should have done, your LEAF/Bering
is loaded from physically write-protected media, you can wait just a
few minutes to make sure RAM has been wiped, then power-on none the
worse--episode over.

If you're running on a virtual machine, a) you can't power-off with
impunity, b) a compromised firewall virtual machine has SUSE's full
toolset on an accessible hard drive, and c) you can never be entirely
sure just how far the penetration got, so the whole system is suspect!

> Paul u stated something about iptables specially for SUSE, how can LEAF
> be configured on SUSE.

For the last time, IT ISN'T!

IPTABLES is a stateful packet filter built into the Linux kernel v2.4 &
above.  The iptables command is used to instruct it which packets are
allowed to pass, and which are thrown into the bit-bucket.  IPTABLES
is built into your SUSE-10.2 kernel, it just a matter of providing it
with a good set of rules--some of the sets you'll find are much better
than others.  The ones I use are much tighter than many but don't impede
me.  And this is behind my Bering firewall!  For example, I don't allow
output to ports 81 or 8080.  These are often used by dodgy websites as
secondary "back channels", ET phoning home as it were.  Naughty,
naughty.
Bering can't know enough about what's going on in my workstation to
block
some specific packets.  FTP is a problematic protocol.  If I want to run
FTP I can add appropriate rules to IPTABLES on the fly.  When I'm done,
remove them.  If I've visited somewhere with a browser that on the sly
is
trying to download something, it gets dropped & logged, and I find out.
Bering couldn't have known that at that specific time FTP wasn't
something
I wanted happening.

It's not paranoia when they really ARE out to get you!

>    Thanking you ,When i get this logical road block about LEAF away the
>    installation process is a bit easy.

Not until you understand how all the pieces fit together.  At this point
you're on your way to trouble.  Nothing is worse than a misplaced sense
of security.

> system rather than a dedicated box. You can get an old pentium with a
> CDROM and an ethernet card at Goodwill for under $40 and borrow

Depends on where he is.  (And Goodwill around here doesn't resell
donated systems anyway.)

> I can confirm, at least under VMWare Server, that this configuration
> works well.

That's a matter of opinion.  Not everything that CAN be done, SHOULD
be done.  ;-)

--
Paul Rogers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]