On 11/4/10 12:10 PM, wfdudley wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I've been mulling this over since then.
>
> I'm not sure what "pulled all documentation from the up-stream config
> files in favor of man pages" means, but when I type "man shorewall-rules"
> I get the helpful message "man: not found", so that's "a fail", in the current
> parlance.  I understand that's somebody else's problem, but it's still broken.
>
> So the answer to my initial query appears to be that in order to configure a
> LEAF/Bering/Shorewall router firewall, one has to read all the man pages
> for the 30 or so configuration files, plus have a solid understanding of the
> particular version of ip filtering that is on that week's version of Linux.

As Shorewall is released from shorewall.net, smart first-time users:

a) Go to shorewall.net
b) Click on the "Getting started with Shorewall" link.
c) Click on the "Quickstart Guide" link.
d) Follow the instructions.

Note: I'm uncertain if the LEAF developers package the sample
configurations on which those instructions are based. They may have
omitted them for the same reason that they omitted the man pages.

I believe that at the outset, you said that you wanted to do proxy arp
subnetting. For that you need to disable masquerading for the proxy arp
subnet (that's /etc/shorewall/masq) and set the 'proxyarp' option on the
involved network interfaces.

-Tom

PS -- Linux has had the same "ip filtering" for the last 10 years which
is only one year longer than Shorewall has been around.
--
Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like