Am Donnerstag, 4. November 2010, 20:10:52 schrieb wfdudley:
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I've been mulling this over since then.
>
> I'm not sure what "pulled all documentation from the up-stream config
> files in favor of man pages" means, but when I type "man shorewall-rules"
> I get the helpful message "man: not found", so that's "a fail", in the
> current parlance.  I understand that's somebody else's problem, but it's
> still broken.

Previously (most of) the documentation has been in the config files, nowadays
the docs has been pulled out to man pages plus setup guides, FAQ's, whatever.
That's all avaliable on the net, namely http://www.shorewall.net - and it's
definitely worth to read and to look for every answer you question or doesn't
even have in mind it can be questioned.

> So the answer to my initial query appears to be that in order to configure
> a LEAF/Bering/Shorewall router firewall, one has to read all the man pages
> for the 30 or so configuration files, plus have a solid understanding of
> the particular version of ip filtering that is on that week's version of
> Linux.

Start with one of the setup guides under "Documentation" -> "Beginner
Documentation" and walk from there on regarding to your needs.

kp