I'll stop being grumpy now.

I was just dismayed that the docs for this are, um, more diffuse that my old
LRP install.

I'd suggest that the floppy is way past it's time, and now its time to
make a LRP
release that assumes real storage, like a 250Meg CF card, or other solid state
"disk drive".  Then you can have the docs, a real editor, even a real GUI if
somebody gets ambitious and codes it up.

So: my REAL problem.

My ISP (and my employer) gives me a block of 16 public IP addresses.
xxx.xxx.xxx.16/28
xxx.xxx.xxx.17 is the pipeline
xxx.xxx.xxx.18 is the WAN port on the firewall
The LAN port is 192.168.1.254, for laptops, Winders boxes, other stuff
without fixed
address
The DMZ port is xxx.xxx.xxx.16/28.  The current LRP/Dachstein uses Proxy Arp
(not bridging, I was mistaken, the m0n0wall does bridged firewall) so that the
servers on the DMZ have some ports visible to the outside world.

The shorewall docs say "use the three port example -- unless you've got multiple
IPs, in which case, never mind, you'll have to read all the docs".
I'm paraphrasing,
obviously.  This is about when I threw up my hands.

I've been looking at
http://www.shorewall.net/3.0/shorewall_setup_guide.htm just now,
which is apparently *it* for documentation on my situation.  I find it
both spends too
much time on beginner stuff, like "what is an IP address", and doesn't
have enough
examples to make it easy for that same beginner.

Anyway, a concise set of example shorewall config files would be a big help.

I'll be happy to write a web page describing it all for the documentation pages
if anybody is interested.

Thanks for reading this far,
Bill Dudley