On 11/4/10 6:11 PM, wfdudley wrote:
> I'll stop being grumpy now.
>
> I was just dismayed that the docs for this are, um, more diffuse that my old
> LRP install.
>
> I'd suggest that the floppy is way past it's time, and now its time to
> make a LRP
> release that assumes real storage, like a 250Meg CF card, or other solid state
> "disk drive".  Then you can have the docs, a real editor, even a real GUI if
> somebody gets ambitious and codes it up.
>
> So: my REAL problem.
>
> My ISP (and my employer) gives me a block of 16 public IP addresses.
> xxx.xxx.xxx.16/28
> xxx.xxx.xxx.17 is the pipeline
> xxx.xxx.xxx.18 is the WAN port on the firewall
> The LAN port is 192.168.1.254, for laptops, Winders boxes, other stuff
> without fixed
> address
> The DMZ port is xxx.xxx.xxx.16/28.  The current LRP/Dachstein uses Proxy Arp
> (not bridging, I was mistaken, the m0n0wall does bridged firewall) so that the
> servers on the DMZ have some ports visible to the outside world.
>
> The shorewall docs say "use the three port example -- unless you've got
> multiple
> IPs, in which case, never mind, you'll have to read all the docs".
> I'm paraphrasing,
> obviously.  This is about when I threw up my hands.
>
> I've been looking at
> http://www.shorewall.net/3.0/shorewall_setup_guide.htm just now,
> which is apparently *it* for documentation on my situation.

If you happen to be running Shorewall 3.x; the last such Shorewall
release was in 2007. The current version of that doc is at
http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_setup_guide.htm.

> I find it
> both spends too
> much time on beginner stuff, like "what is an IP address", and doesn't
> have enough
> examples to make it easy for that same beginner.
>
> Anyway, a concise set of example shorewall config files would be a big help.
>
> I'll be happy to write a web page describing it all for the documentation
> pages
> if anybody is interested.

There are over 100 articles in the index at
http://www.shorewall.net/Documentation_Index.html.

We eagerly await your contribution.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like