I am trying to upgrade my current firewall which is using LEAF Bering uClibc
3.x something. I'm taking things cautiously because I had read information
about changes with the 4.x version, especially around Shorewall, so I wanted to
take things slowly and not put myself into huge hole of problems. I downloaded
the file Bering-uClibc_4.1_geode_syslinux_ser.tar. I tried to boot a clean and
basic install on a duplicate platform as I have installed in my "production"
network. I can't get it to boot up completely so I am asking for assistance.

Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong (it's probably something
obvious I missed)?

SITUATION DETAILS FOLLOW

See below for details about my situation:

I am using a duplicate hardware platform to the one currently installed into my
"production" network. I installed a base version of Bering-uClibc v4.1 for the
AMD Geode processor. I am not using a hard drive, nor USB drive, but a compact
flash which plugs into the built in connector. I formatted the CF with a single
partition of FAT32 and installed syslinux version 4.05 (dated 2011-12-09) and
then installed the files from the TAR file. I made appropriate adjustments to
the SYSLINUX.CFG and the LEAF.CFG files for the hardware. I changed the drive
to boot from to /dev/sdb1/ and increased the SYST_SIZE=512M, TEMP_SIZE=128M AND
LOG_SIZE=64M. I did change what packages (LRP) files were loaded by LEAF. I
wanted to start with the bare bones and build upon success.

When I booted the system, it seemed like it was going to boot fully however it
stopped when booting the kernel. Here's what the the system displayed (I
plugged in a VGA monitor so I could see the boot process messages) up to the
point it stopped (enclosed in the brackets []:

[
SYSLINUX 4.05 EDD 2011-12-09 Copyright © 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al

{Bering LP Shield image displayed on screen}    Bering-uClibc Firewall

(4.1 - 2011-10-08)

(uClibc 0.9.30.3 Bering-uClibc team)

This image brought to you by:

The LEAF project:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net

The Shorewall project:

http://www.shorewall.net

Decompressing Linux… Parsing ELF… done.
Booting the kernel.

]

After it displays the last message, nothing happens. It doesn't try to access
any data off the compact flash. The boot process just stops. When I go back and
use the same type of CF loaded with Bering-uClibc 3.x, it boots properly (just
as the production version does).

In the  Bering-uClibc 4.x - User Guide - Basic Configuration - Booting for the
First Time section under the Troubleshooting section, I tried to add some
different KMODULES (mainly to see if it would create an error), but it booted
the same as previously. I also tried the changes described in the DMA issues
section.  None of these changes worked, nor did they give me further error
information to help point me in a direction to try.

Hardware :

A fanless network device platform made by Acrosser. The model is the AR-B1554
(there is another model of same config except it has 256MB SDRAM). I do have a
user guide document from Acrosser with more hardware details if it will help.

CPU - AMD Geode GX-MMX
CPU Clock - 333 MHz

Primary Master Disk - None
Primary Slave Disk - LBA, DMA 2, 4096 MB - 4 GB Compact Flash  (SanDisk Ultra
II 15 MB/s)

128 MB SDRAM on-board (
Base Memory - 640K
Extended Memory - 1216000K