Okay, I just tried another attempt. I kept the Geode based initrd.lrp, but
removed the part of the APPEND line indicating the serial port, REMOVED the
configdb.lrp file, and then added the libata.dma=3 into the APPEND statement.
It boots up. Thanks again.

Now that it is booting, can I just copy the moddb.lrp and configdb.lrp from my
existing production device (BuC 3.x) to this "test" device to establish the
configuration (wanted to keep the same setup). I assume, even if I copy those
*.lrp files, I'll have to edit the Shorewall configuration due to the
differences in the versions, right?

bpk