There are 330 files in the vanilla 5.2.4 distro, taking up about 109Mbyte.
I suppose it's possible that it's a root dir issue if mkfs.vfat treats a CF
partition as a floppy. Otherwise I would have expected 512 to be enough. I'm
away from home at the moment but I'll try play around with that when I get back.

John