On 08/04/16 14:41, David M Brooke wrote:
> Now I understand what Andrew meant!  -r refers to the number of directory
> entries permitted (like inodes, I guess). From the man page:
>
>      -r root-dir-entries
>      Select the number of entries available in the root directory.
>      The default is 112 or 224 for floppies and 512 for hard disks.
>
>  From memory I would have expected 512 to be sufficient, but maybe not…
>
> davidMbrooke

Well,
I loaded the Bering 5.2.5_i486 serial package. Uncompressed it's 322
files +1 Folder (we have to then add 1 file for syslinux). This is still
less than 512 root entries.
OK, I'll try this later, but it doesn't seem consistent and doesn't
answer why Windows, but not Linux can copy all the files to the same
formatted disk??
To be clear, I have fdisked the CF (in Linux), then formatted FAT32 (in
WindowsXP). This CF will not accept more that 80GB when copied from
Linux but the same, unchanged, CF does accept the whole Bering5 stuff
(100+ MBytes) when copied in Windows XP.
This doesn't look like root entries.

Cheers,

Bob

--
The Sun is out, the sky is blue, it's time to drive the MR2.