>>The main thrust of my argument was that it would force us to pay  going
rate, ie towards the middle if the bell curve.<<

Do you not believe we are already there? It's clear that footballers'
agents see Leeds as a meal ticket for their journeyman clients. Biggest club in

the division, with a recent history of wildly overpaying for average
players.  And I guess Bates is making a stand against that.

Meanwhile a couple of sugardaddy-funded, decent-sized clubs (Leicester,
Ipswich) believe that they can buy their way to glory by paying top whack for
a  few marginal talents (Konchesky etc).

Just like Cardiff have done for several seasons, or Middlesborough. And
guess what - it's no guarantee of success. What does work is a well-managed
group of players that gels as a team - like Norwich over the past two
seasons.  And the Norwich model proves that success can be found at the lower
end
of your  beloved "bell" ;-)