the indefatigable Mark said:

>This kind of thing goes on all the time in business.  If it is that 'wrong'
>or pseudo illegal then the relevant regulatory bodies need to deal with it.
>If it is illegal then the courts will deal with it.  Until then individuals
>are free to run their businesses in that way if they so choose.
 
- this is exactly what the Inland Revenue are doing and what you are arguing is 
unfair...unless I've misunderstood or fallen asleep or something

He also said:
 
>To bring this back to football I will us the 'professionalism' in football
>argument.
>I also remember vividly Paul Allen being cynically
>tripped from behind in the FA Cup final by Willie Young.  Young only got a
>yellow card because it was 'just' a foul, albeit a 'professional foul'.  Was
>Young 'wrong' to do it?  In a football sense, no - he probably won the FA
>Cup for Arsenal.  
 
- point of fact the Hammers won this one, a Trevor Brooking header of all 
things, 1-0, so Young's skullduggery did not achieve anything other than the 
correct changes in the law in an attempt to keep up with the changes in the way 
the players of the game (and their apologists) deemed to be 
acceptable...remember that this is the sport in which the Corinthians refused 
to score from penalties because they felt it to be giving the attacking team an 
ungentlemanly advantage and so shot deliberately wide on principal whenever 
they were awarded one...whither, eh? I ask you, whither?
 
The 2 things to remember when talking about "rights" and "wrongs" in football 
and attempting to extrapolate that into wider "real life" dealings is that a) 
football is less important than that - ie drawing a comparison between 
potential tax evasion and time-wasting tactics, is simply crass and b) the 
"rights" and "wrongs" is all relative innit...you and I as right-thinking 
Englishman know that Maradona cheated with his "hand of God" goal, but ask 
someone from Argentina, or Scotland for that matter...
 
The game has rules to be followed. As does running a business.  The good ship 
Leeds Utd and all associated with her could do to remember that both on and off 
the field.
 
(PS - just for the record I don't care about how Maradona scored that goal, 
just as I don't care about Geoff Hurst's 2nd "goal" in 1966 or Michael Owen's 
training at the Rambert - swings and roundabouts, swings...)

_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors. 
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Join The Leeds United Supporters Trust at www.lufctrust.org 

Reply via email to