> May I suggest you > > EITHER > post an alternative Leeds United related subject worth discussing and my > postings will no doubt disappear amongst the stuff you do want to read >
Not worth it Tim, I had the audacity to post something relating to football and it was duly ignored by all. Now I'm reasonably happy to skip through most of the pro/anti rantings and pick out odd pieces, or if I'm not in the mood delete them, the joys of a mail list. However, what I personally don't understand is the black and white stance of all parties involved. For what it's worth the Stig View From The Bar is that the club has been on a downward spiral for 6 years now, since that infamous gamble on a Champs League place backfired thanks to a perfectly good (own) goal being disallowed. Three boards have presided over the inevitable firesale that goes with a debt the size of a small South American country, the latest being that of cuddly Ken. Now, any fule kno that MOST chairmen, when they proudly announce investment in their club, are DEFINATELY NOT putting their OWN Money in. So comments knocking KB for not investing his own money are deluded in thinking that is the norm, it is not. As I've stated before these people do not get where they are today (Who was the guy who said that in the Leonard Rossiter comedy?) by being completely honest/above board and by investing their own money, or indeed having any risk at all on their priles in the country. What Bates did that was good IMHO when he came in was cut a lot of the wastage (Good business management) but he made a critical error in putting prices up to a ridiculous level thus alienating many of his customer base (Bad business management). What we have to remember is that the club was still heavily in debt and with the huge reduction in income there was an analogy that could be used for most of the past 5 years against the fable of the dutch boy sticking his finger in the dam to stop a flood. Administration was most likely the best and only realistic option for the club and in hindsight should maybe have been done previously. The fact that KB took the club into administration is (correct me if I'm wrong) not considered a bad move by just about everyone. Obviously the resulting immediate phoenix option is very controversial. But why? Ultimately (Once you read through the reams of arguments) because people hold opinions about KB as a person and what they believe his motives are, i.e. Supposition. The argument about all the other offers on the table cannot be raised without questions being asked about the motives of the alternative bidders, again Supposition, but what I can't understand is this black and white right or wrong mentality. Will Ken Bates ultimately sell on LUFC and make his pound of flesh? Probably, but he wouldn't exactly be alone in being a greedy capitalist would he (I refer the honourable gentlemen to the fact that all the people with an interest in the club are worth millions) Are the club in a better state financially than they were 3 months ago? Definately. Anyone who counter argues that has yet to explain exactly how a club with a debt of around (I think) £2.7 million pounds in footballing debts is worse off than one with general debts of anything between £12 and £35 Million depending on who you believe/listen to. Are Ken Bates' ethics in question in how he has gone about all this? Yes, but again are the ethics of other interested parties ethical? Is threatening a man and his family over a debt of £15,000 ethical? No, but it's how one of the other interested parties goes about accruing his fortune. So ultimately I guess what I'm saying in a long winded way is can we stop the black and white mentality of the arguing and maybe we'll make some ground? _______________________________________________ the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors. Leedslist mailing list [email protected] http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist Join The Leeds United Supporters Trust at www.lufctrust.org

