This is getting interesting.  I did all of my original tests with the y axis at
0.  As you offset the y-axis in the negative direction, or towards you, that
teardrop shape gets smaller and starts to change into a wave.

Controlling where they go is whole new problem.  It would be really nice to be
able to turn the 3" offset pattern 90ยบ and repeat it all around the circle
getting a chevron effect.  I still think a template might be the better way to
go.  Granted you can't make the loop (teardrop shape) with a template.

This further makes me think of mounting a french curve on the back as a
template.  Probably not rigid enough, but you get the idea.  A template with
curves that could be mounted at different angle to get a suitable curve.  I
could go one step further an make a captured template in a french curve shape.

Fun stuff.  Are we getting bored yet by this topic?