  From: ronkir...@aol.com
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 12:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Rotary Table and String Art

  Hi Tim
  What I was suggesting is take a spirograph mechanism and attach it to a
pattern board mounted to the backside of the legacy like a template. Now mount
a work piece between the rails on a work table it doesn't have to be the rotary
table. Now in the standard spirograph set up the stator of the mechanism would
be pinned to a piece of paper. Then one of the gears would be placed inside the
stator with its teeth engaged with the stator teeth. Then a pen or pencil would
be placed in one of the holes in the gear or rotor. As  the rotor moves the pen
traces out the desired curve on the paper mounted below it. Now lets set up an
arm that is attached to the router housing. One end of the arm has a stylus
mounted in it and performs the task of the pen. Now if one were to move the
stylus like the pen the router will move and trace out the curve. Now one could
mount a pencil in the router and see if the tracing on the work piece is the
same as one where the set up is perform in the traditional manner. The tracing
is perform the same except it is translated by the length of the arm. It is
like a pantograph  with a one to one ratio. One concern I have the spirograph
mechanisms normally have plastic gears. I don't know if that will stand up
against the amount of force needed to move the router. The placement of the
spirograph mechanism has to be registered to where the tracing is to start on
the work piece. I think this will work given the restrictions I mention above.
I see where Legacy was using a intricate cut template ,which had a lot of
curves and holes in it, to create a copy using the router. Well that's what I
had in mind. I don't know if I am pushing the approach too far.
  Ron