From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of begatbrown
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 4:25 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Re: Extruded rail material source

Hello All,

Other than needing to acquire a longer lead screw, what is there
preventing someone from using two 900s to make a 8 foot system?   I
believe the carriage would still be able to ride through from one
frame to the other.  Clearly one would have to place both systems on a
common platform and perhaps connect them to make sure the two stable.

I have few mechanical skills, but to me seems away around looker for
longer extrusions.  I also think the cost of the alum rails are
roughly $25 a foot thru legacy.  If that's true four 9ft rails would
cost approx $900.  That's a lot if you don't mean use the system to
make money, but not much of an investment if you mean to make columns
for the market.

Moreover, since Legacy decided to withdraw from both the small and the
large ornamental mill market, they have left the door open for
innovation.

Begat

On Dec 5, 4:04 am, "curt george" <curtgeo...@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
> Shoot Tim I was going to tell everyone about Dependable...
> Finding the Acme screw is not hard, but over 8' the screw starts becoming
to flexible and will need some sort of bridge to hold the screw from
bending.
> Now the Alum. I still have not found a source.But I know it has to be out
there!
> Making a LARGE Legacy type of machine has been a dream of mine for years.
(Dreams are for chasing, not catching,its the Drive that keeps you going.)
:-) I have no idea on if I will ever be able to make my machine, but it
hasn't stopped me for trying to find the sources to get the materials to
make the Dream come true.
to find and buy.(http://8020.net/)

> Just my two cents worth of it today.
> I have to get to work now.
> have a great day all.
>
> C.A.G.

thread in long lengths.   I don't know if they do international shipping or
not.

>   -Tim

pitch 4TPI like the legacy one? please can you give me the web sight of that

>     Bill

1/4 thick piece of bar stock which we used to drill out to either 1/4-20 or
5/16-18 for standard bolts. I do believe that when you download the modutek
catalogue is shows the bolt head also sliding in the slot. I have been
moving 8 or so 10 foot pieces of the one slot stuff for years and plan on
making the panel saw from some plans I have and also looking into longer
acme screw material for a longer machine that is about 2 feet longer than
the 900 I use now. I have been looking into making a rail extension that
will just bolt up. I am looking at moving the carriage onto rollers and
making an arm tht bolts to the lead screw bracket that would continue the
drive for a longer distance down the rail. Nothing further in planning than
the drawing board at this time.

>       As a note I am working on a few custom candle holders that are about
4 feet high with a hollow spiral in them made from some 4" stock I came
into.  Pics to follow soon if I can get them finished before the new year.

>       In His Service
>
>       Carl Stigers
>
>       WWW.treetothee.com
>
>       On 12/04/11, Bill Bulkeley<bulke...@mmnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>       thank you Carl when you say similar did they have anything with the
wide groove in it the same that is in the legacy rails that's the hard one
to find the wide groove

>       Bill

make rails go tohttp://www.tekno.com/html/downloads_.html.  I used to work
at a conveyor company and we used very similiar extrusion. As far as the
nuts and bolts you can get those a lot cheaper from a local supplier like
Fastenal. the plans from one of the mags for a panel saw used this stuff.

>         Carl Stigers
>
>         > yes it does look like a little bit of legacy rail in there I
wonder if he
>         > got it from legacy if not id love to know were wouldn't it be
great to be
>         > able to buy rail for our mills elsewhere
>
>         No virus found in this message.
12/04/11

athttp://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills?hl=en.