Hi guys

As Bill noted down in Australia they have lost their show so they are left
with one of poor quality and crap products. Over here we now have three
shows that I would say are along the lines of your shows and because I sell
tools I invest my money in supporting them and having a booth.  For these
shows to succeed you need to look at a fundamental problem and that is that
three groups of people have to participate and they each have different
objectives and to be satisfied with what they take away from the show be it
orders, profit, knowledge or even a bargain.

So you start with the organiser needing to cover his costs and having an
array of interesting demonstrations and presentations to entice both the
exhibitors and visitors. He also needs to make a profit and build a base for
the next year.

Then you come to the exhibitor, he pays for booth space, hotels, wages,
living costs and trucking costs.  He also wants to make a profit or at least
see that he will get a return on his investment.

Finally you have Joe public, they are looking for bargains or at least a
deal, and also to see what is new and to have the opportunity to increase
their knowledge.

In my opinion the shows of 12 to 15 years  ago were the glory days and they
will never come back for a number of reasons.

.         The first and, I believe, the largest problem is getting Joe
public's interest.  If you don't stimulate that whilst they are young you
will not get them wanting to go to shows and if your education system is
like ours craft skills haves been down played in favour of academic skills
which is all well and good but we are not all academic material.

.         The next major problem is that none of the groups listed above
controls the cost associated with the hiring the venue; and that is the
first and probably the biggest problem because that is where the show
organiser has to start his costing's from and he has to pay what the venue
owner thinks is fair.

.         Now I believe the internet has not only transformed how we get our
knowledge and how we buy but it has also impacted the show circuit. Just
look at the interchange of knowledge of this small group and I think that
proves the point on where we get knowledge from compared to 20 years ago.
Because we buy off the internet we have lost our local shops where we could
get the products and helpful knowledge but we thought paid too much. How do
these internet suppliers work, they basically sell on price so that the
manufacturers have to give them the margin they demand, just like the big
out of town warehouse stores they are killing the small reseller of yester
year.

.         So when it comes to shows there is little or no margin left to
give to Joe public unless they are a company that sells basically direct.
So I think the way it will go is that Joe public will go to the show to
learn, but I am afraid he will not save money. Further thought, over here we
reckon that wood turners have deep pockets and short arms so that does not
encourage potential exhibitors to take part.

.         I do not know whether you have local retail stores running their
own shows, this again has impacted the national shows. Again these are about
selling product and very little about showing and education.

As for DIY shows I cannot see what you are going to gain other than how to
clean carpets and ovens.  The couple of DIY shows I have been to were
staffed by showman demonstrators, their job was to sell the kit!  They had
zilch interest in educating the potential customers. One company was selling
kitchen oven cleaner, we saw them painting the grease and grime on the ovens
they were going to clean when we came into the show before the public came
in, bunch of crooks!

So folks go support what you have because otherwise you will not have even
those shows!

Regards
Roger