  From: Brandon Khoury
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Cutting Reeds on a Tapered Spindle

  Thanks for the info. I considered using a template, but that raised another
question. Is there a reliable method for setting up the straight edge to ensure
it is perfectly parallel to the spindle? My initial thought would be to rest
the bearing against the side of the spindle, then place the template aginst the
template follower, at one end of the spindle, and secure it in place. Then do
the same thing at the opposite end. This is becoming a really fun project. It
is requiring me to use new techniques. Side reeding and template following will
be a first. I'll also be making sliding dovetail joints and breaking out my new
handheld router to use on my Rockler dovetail jig that has been sitting in the
box for about 5 years...

  As for the questions, I'll be sure to keep them coming. I'll do my best to
fill the forum with my vast lack of knowledge ;-)
  And a word of advice to the new group members. Read as much as you can, watch
as many videos as you can find, and don't hesitate to ask questions here.
Google han't made it very easy to find solutions in the groups, so ask away.

  Thanks,
  Brandon