I don't know about others - but I am somewhat "lost" with the discussion here.  Please remember that "A picture is worth a thousand words" and its sequel: "A video is worth a  thousand pictures." (I made that one up - but it is true in my case.)  Could one of you guys post a few pictures showing what you are describing? (or better yet a short video?)
Thanks a bunch.

From: Brandon Khoury
Sent: Jan 25, 2013 6:24 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Cutting Reeds on a Tapered Spindle

Mike,
Just as a point of clarification, with the procedure you just described, you have the router on the back side of the piece, correct? I actually set my router on the near side and climb milled from right to left (head stock to tail stock). I also only made one pass.

I like your 1/2" x 6" bar method, but I assume this only works with bearings that are also 1/2"? Otherwise, your cutting edge would be off by half the difference in diameter.

Also, there isn't any tear out in that picture. I think what you are seeing is a little sliver of wood that was a result of the cuts flaring away from each other at the large end of the spindle. I measured the circumference at the center of the "to be reeded" section, to determine the indexing. So the cuts overlap at the bottom of the spindle, they are right up against each other in the middle, and they start to separate slightly at the big end. I simply had not sanded this material off at the time of the photo. I have 3 more legs to reed, so I'll try the two pass method on one of them. Are you doing both passes at the full cutting depth?

Brandon