  From: John Hennen
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Cutting Reeds on a Tapered Spindle

  Reeds on a tapered spindle...
  Way to much overthinking going on so I thought I would pipe up and tell you
how Tracy taught me to reed tapered parts.
  After the spindle is tapered:
  1- re-level the bed (once the bed is level the center plane is now level with
the bed.  the top is now tapered but that does not matter as we are reeding
from the side)
  2- free float the y axis (unlock the split nut)
  3- set your stops
  4- set the point of the cutter even with the point of the tailstock
  5-reed the part

  you will notice that the spacing changes as the diameter changes. see the
link http://legacywoodworking.com/galleryItem.cfm?project=482  you can even use
this on contoured parts as well to flute and reed.

  side reeding or fluting is all based on centerline and with the bed flat the
centerline is parallel to the side reeding/fluting bit