I hope your not planning to use the gear setup he has and just use a handscrew
on the leadscrew.  Also if I was making something similar, I would make the
locking mechanism work off the front, not the back.  Curt's right about no safe
way of making plunge cuts.  Think about that before going too far.

  From: CURTIS GEORGE
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Shop made Z-axis

  Hello Brandon
  I see no reason why that would not work, the slop/play in this set up is
removed once you lock the riser into place.  this might cause you to do more
work on your legacy slightly different, instead of just plunging down, you most
likely will need to lower the router from the side lock in place and then move
the Y axis back towards the center,which is the way that I normally do most of
my cutting on spindles any ways. as far as the tilting element. I think I will
agree with Tim on that one, start small and you can always add to it latter.
  good luck on your project. Im looking forwards to seeing how it turns out for
you. ;-)