Hey Curt (and everyone else in the group)... here is a bullet point response...
I am fairly sure I posted a number of pictures in regards to my Z axis
upgrade(s)... first was widening the router carriage(easy mod)... next was
adding the angled, rotary table to be able to set up the router to any angle
needed... then came the linear bearings on the z axis with the counter balance
setup so the router could “float” over the spindle... like I said, I am sure
there are posts covering all of this, but I am not sure of the easiest way to
find them.
         In regards to router size, I would have to say the bigger the
better... it is a delicate balance between router speed, router horse power,
size of cutting bit, type of wood being milled, feed rate, etc. ... if the
router is underpowered, and the cutting action hits a snag, the workpiece could
be damaged and/or ruined... better the router be of a size that can handle any
challenge... if there are no mods to the z axis, the Legacy design should
handle the weight of the Porter Cable with no issues... if the router holder is
racking during multiple, repetitive operations, I would think the black high
hats need tweaking... are the vertical aluminum rails set up and spaced apart
properly?... before I did my mods and used the machine in its original
unaltered state, I never experienced a problem like what has been described in
the above posts... I’ll stop here for now as this is a long post!... LOL!...
later... Joe B.