Oh - I just find a killer problem with this. For the Potential Problems List, it considers each use of [--?--] to have "Possible illegal character in the Name field" AND it gives me "Too many dashes in the Name field." Apparently what is standard for RootsWeb is considered a Problem in Legacy. Do you use this Potential Problems report routinely? I always check - now I have to find something else. I don't like false positives - nor overriding the check with an ignore. For now I will retrieve my backup db I made with my "Unknown" format before spending my entire evening trying to 'fix' it to a standard that is NOT standard.

Wm. Hathaway

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Naylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Standard Usage?

On 12 Dec 2006  WILLIAM HATHAWAY wrote:

Is there a generally accepted standard for designating an individual
with some data, but missing this rather important surname?

RootsWeb recommends using the 7 characters    [--?--]

I use this in Legacy, other genealogy software and on my web pages
and haven't had any problems with its use.

Cheers, -- Dave N.
--
 David Naylor, Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada.
---

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453. ***

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***