Diane,

I keep an run the Legacy database ( your data file) from the flash drive.  I
don't worry about backing up and then restoring the file from one computer
to another.  I think this is where the confusion lies.

When you exit Legacy on both computers, and you have made changes to your
data, it will prompt to backup.  Say yes and save the backup file to a place
on the local (C:\) drive.

If you ever have a problem with the data on your flash drive, you will just
restore the file from the computer you used last to either the same flash
drive or a new one.

(This is how I recommend the use of a Flash drive to the patrons who visit
the Family History Center that I work at.  I have converted many to this
usage and they all love it.)

Glen Ballard

P.S.  I have been carrying the same flash drive in my pocket bouncing around
with my car keys for 1 1/2 years and I use it every day.

P.P.S.  There are those who use the flash drive as the backup location.  (In
my opinion, this only leads to possible problems of backing up or restoring
to the wrong machine and losing a lot of your work.

P. S. Check out Legacy Family Tree today! This full featured genealogy
program can be downloaded FREE at
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Index.asp?mid=3AV63La