Phil,

It's not a virus but a problem with the way the email was sent in the first place. It only occurs with senders who use Outlook and who have their Outlook set in certain ways.

The sort answer is that winmail.dat contains formatting information. My guess is that you aren't using Outlook and therefore the formatting options came in what is probably an unreadable winmail.dat file for you.

For more, google winmail.dat, but here's a good summary.

http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm <http://www.gpc.edu/%7Ejbenson/resource/winmail.htm>

Jackie

*snipped message*

Phil Hawkins wrote:

When CQ Quimet sent his message on the above topic it came with an attachement WINMAIL.DAT
So did Paul Abel's response.
I understand attachements are not allowed
Are they sent in error or are they viruses?