I don't know about other places but in my area, and really in much of the
south, this was a common practice.  Having been in the real estate and
auction business for 30 years, I have run across many cases where tenants or
boarders have recieved title to the property fee simple, when the owner
passed away.

I think we should mention them in the notes when we find them in census
reports, or other documentable (is that a word?) sources.

Thanks for the topic.