I was not going to add more flame to the fire after the fuel I added
to genealogy versus
family history.

However, I think the Legacy Staff needs to know that the attitude and
words of some on
this group are driving potential users away. A friend who I share the
highs and lows of
searches for family with, had downloaded the standard version on her
old computer and
was contemplating purchasing the Deluxe Version: therefore I
recommended this list
to her. After a few months she unsubscribed and reverted to her second
choice. If you are asking why, here it is: the attitudes, words, and
close mindedness of list members.
She said they have tolerance in their list of how to handle matters on
list but it seems the only tolerance is if you say and do it their
way. So she is going with Roots Magic.

If there are those that certain things are an abomination then just
delete those conversations and do not go there. If you are only
searching and recording direct
blood lines use and read only what pertains to those needs. However if
you are like
a majority of those doing research today and want to have the full
picture to pass on
to your family and descendants then you are going to need answers to
many questions.

Maybe a good rule of thumb for all members would be to follow what one
of my grandmothers often told me, "If you can not say anything nice
then do not say anything at all", and just delete you way out of the
thread.

Marilyn

On 10/6/07, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stacey,
>
> You have expressed it better than anyone else has.  I, too, want ONLY to
> know the best way to handle it.  But I dare never ask.  I went to the
> archives.  However, I find it just as absurd and ridiculous that we cant
> discuss the best way to make an entry of any relationship in our families.
> ALL families have them whether people know or want to know or not.
>
> I am sick and tired of the fact that every time a new person comes onto the
> list and asks how to record it, every one gets up in arms.  They didn't
> state a belief against it or for it.
>
> I have used Legacy for several years and am now comtemplating leaving it.
> I'm not contemplating it based on the topic or the fact that someone asks a
> legitimate question of how to best record a relationship in his or her
> family.  NO.  I am contemplating it based on the fact that the Legacy
> administrators would rather ban a topic of legitimate discussion than to
> tell those that get up in arms not read a topic they don't like.  No one has
> to open a message if they don't like the topic. That is simple enough. As
> you said, how many times does the topic of adoption or foster children, etc
> come up and there is heated debate but, admin sits silent?
>
> I hope the Legacy admin will take a look at this again and take a different
> approach.  Rather than ban a topic because someone doesn't like it, help
> with the discussion and tell those that don't like it that they don't have
> to read it.
>
> What about all the abortions that occur in your families?  How do you record
> them?  Since many believe that life begins at conception, do you record the
> child and the date of their murder and the name of the murderer?
>
> I am still curious about the best way to record my own relationship of 15
> years, but I will go to the archives......again.
>

> --
> Paul
>
> "What a glorious world God Almighty has given us. How thankless and
> ungrateful we are, and how we labor to mar His gifts." ~ Gen. Robert E. Lee,
> CSA
>
> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Please take it off list -- IT'S A LEGITMATE QUERY,
> FOLKS!
>

> As long is this list is not restricted exclusively to Legacy users who are
> rigidly academic genealogical purists, the subject is without question a
> legitimate one. It could even be argued that it's extremely relevant to pure
> genealogy, as well. After all, if homosexuality is ever proven to be
> genetically determined, one might expect future members of their blood line
> to find it helpful to to know whether it "runs in the family".
>
> People simply want to know the best way of documenting these relationships
> in their family
> histories and/or how to process them specifically with their Legacy
> software. There is nothing about the decision to include this subject in
> [...]

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but
trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good
they do is inconceivable.
    ~ Joseph Addison (1672-1719)