There can be a large difference between how the Census was *supposed* to
be taken and how each census taker actually *did* the field work ;-)

I'm only familiar with the US censuses, but I know that the census takers
did *not* always verify who *lived* in the house versus who was *in* the
house the day of the census.  My wife has at least two ancestors who were
counted twice in pre-1900 censuses; in each case, the person was counted
once at home and once at a grandparent's house on a different day.  My
maternal grandparents were counted twice in the 1920 Census - two census
takers covered part of the same block.

Unfortunately, having someone listed as a family member may or may not
mean that they lived in that house.

John